2005-2007: University of Bradford
PGDip Forensic Computing. Course covers study of the Internet, protocols, cryptography, security and forensic analysis. Taught in conjunction with West Yorkshire Police.
2002-2005: University of Bradford
BSc (Hons) Computing and Information Systems, 2:2 honours achieved. Course focussed on Java programming with some mathematical elements, and also included study of databases, user interfaces, software systems and professional skills.
2000-2002: York College
Attained 3 A levels in Geography, Maths and French, and two AS levels in Computing and Physics.
1995-2000: Millthorpe School, York
Attained 10 GCSEs, 2 at A* (French and German), 2 at A grades (Mathematics and Graphic Products), and the remainder at B grade, including English.
- CLAIT certification in Word Processing, Spreadsheets and Databases.
- British Canoe Union One Star awards in Kayaking and Tandem Canoeing.
- ‘One Star’ St Johns Ambulance award.
School of Life Sciences at the University of Bradford. Administering undergraduate admissions, including arranging interviews, planning and organising open day events, attending events and conventions off-site, managing applicant details on a database, writing copy and proof-reading of publicity material, advising applicants in-person, by telephone and by email.
The Hub at the University of Bradford. Clerical support, including administrative work with the university’s database system. Focussed on the processing of decisions for undergraduate applicants, administration of postgraduate research students, visa queries and face-to-face support for current students.
Department of Marketing and Corporate Communications at the University of Bradford. Included meeting and greeting prospective students and parents on open days and conducting tours, answering the phones for the university’s clearing hotline and dealing with student enquiries, entering data into the student database system and general administrative work in a typical office environment. Job was on a part-time basis around my studies.
Two month placement working for Inovolve Ltd, Leeds. Deployed installations of web-based content management systems for use on company intranets, including customisations using PHP, HTML and CSS.
- Have designed and maintained web sites for over 9 years, and very familiar with content management systems such as WordPress and Movable Type.
- Experience with most versions of Microsoft Windows since version 3.11, including knowledge of how the registry and configuration files work.
- Eight years experience of using Apple Mac OS X in a home environment, including Mountain Lion.
- Member of the executive committee of the University of Bradford Computing Society 2002-2003.
- Competent with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access; also familiar with OpenOffice.org.
- Experience with AutoCAD.
- Regular use of the university database system, SITS:Vision, to enter and manage data and produce reports.
- Native English speaker, excellent written and verbal skills and a large vocabulary. Attained GCSE grade B.
- Fluent speaker of French, with an A-level in the subject. Have visited France and Belgium many times for holidays and used the language whilst there. Achieved A* grade in GCSE German.
- Spent 3 years as a course representative (2003-2006), representing students on a committee of staff and students in the Computing department at University.
- Served as an elected member of the council of the University of Bradford student union for two years, where I took part in debates about union policy and proposed motions. Also sat on the student union Finance and Services Scrutiny Committee for one year.
- Confident and friendly person who is on good terms with fellow staff members and students.
- Updated and maintained the web site for the university’s student magazine and contributes articles. Was able to work alongside other editors and members to create issues as a team effort.
- Worked on the University’s Clearing Hotline, dealing with high volumes of telephone calls from potential students wanting to enrol.
- Regular email, telephone and face-to-face support for applicants to degree courses.
- Run my own web site and weblog (www.neilturner.me.uk), based around WordPress.
- Active interest in social media; superuser on Foursquare and active on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Instagram and Pinterest.
- Hiking; former vice president of the university hiking and helped to organise regular one-day and weekend hikes.
- Regularly socialise with friends at university.
- Reading and posting to online forums and social sites.
- Keen photographer, samples available at www.flickr.com/photos/neilt .
Available upon request.