I’m working my way through Richard Herring’s Emergency Questions book, 15 questions at a time. This week, it’s questions 76-90. You can read more about this project here. Please be aware that some of the questions are somewhat vulgar.
76. Have you ever tried sushi?
Yes. I eat in on occasion – it tends to be available at those Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet places. And yes, I know sushi is Japanese. I’ve been to Yo Sushi once; enjoyed it, but it was very expensive.
77. Have you ever tried sashimi?
I had to look up the difference between sushi and sashimi. Turns out that, no, I have not tried sashimi. I think I’d like it though.
78. Who is your favourite mythological figure?
Thor, although I’m basing this mostly on his depiction in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
79. Have you ever demolished a wall or a building?
80. What’s the worst incorrect rumour you have heard about yourself?
Probably something at school where I apparently fancied someone, and didn’t.
81. Would you rather have a tongue that could taste impending danger or get a free iPhone?
Free iPhone. I’m not one for getting myself into dangerous situations.
82. Why do we have frozen peas? Why is that the only vegetable that the principle way we use it is in frozen form? I know there are other frozen veg, but only the pea is principally used as a frozen, rather than fresh or tinned commodity. Why?
Ease of storage, I guess? Fresh peas out of pods would be harder to package.
83. Have you ever been in the vicinity of a bigfoot, but not seen it, but sensed it watching you?
Not that I am aware of.
84. If you had to have sex with an item of food – if you had to – which food would you choose? Do you think it would be morally wrong to eat the food after you had made love with it? Or unhygienic at least?
Something like a carrot or a cucumber. I suppose you could put it inside a condom and then wash it up afterwards.
85. Where do you stand on transubstantiation?
I’m not a Christian so it’s pretty meaningless to me.
86. Would you rather have the ability to shoot bees out of your eyes or have a pair of shoes that never needed to be cleaned or repaired?
The pair of shoes. I wear shoes out quite regularly and this would save me so much money. And I would be worried about accidentally releasing bees from my eyes at inappropriate moments.
87. If you could communicate with one animal, which animal would you communicate with and what would you ask them?
My mother-in-law’s cat, to ask her why she runs away so often.
88. If you were given the powers of a King Midas, what would you turn everything you touched into?
I like Richard’s answer to this question, which you’ll have to buy to read. I’d go for a variation, but with chocolate.
89. How many fingers was Richard Herring holding up as he first asked this question?
He was probably holding a notepad, so I’m going to say 3.
90. If you had the powers of a Gary Sparrow and could travel from the 1990s to the 1940s what would you do?
For context, this is the Goodnight Sweetheart question. I think I’d just want to experience what life was like then, and see how places have or haven’t changed.