I have some ideas for blog posts in my head, but the prospect of transferring them from my brain into WordPress is not looking so appealing right now. Because my Mac is, as yet, unable to mind-read, I’m instead going to re-do a meme that I found back in January 2006 using data from my iTunes library. Here goes…
How many total songs?
1254 songs, equal to 3 days, 3 hours, 11 minutes and 13 seconds and taking up 8.26 GB of disk space. There are also some random bits outside of iTunes (mostly mash-ups) that I don’t listen to as often.
Sort by song title – first and last?
It should be noted that Apple have changed iTunes’ sorting algorithm since I did this meme in 2006.
Sort by time – shortest and longest?
- Shortest: “Rumpelkumbo” (0:07) by Alestorm from their third album ‘Back Through Time‘ (Amazon, iTunes). Yes, it’s only 7 seconds long. Its back-story is explained in this article.
- Longest: “Sky Burial” (10:16) by Ash from the album ‘A-Z volume 2’ (Amazon, iTunes). An instrumental song released as letter Y in the A-Z series. Not their best track and I’ve only listened to it a couple of times.
Sort by Album – first and last?
- First: “The A List” by A1 (Amazon, iTunes). Yes, I thought their cover of A-Ha’s ‘Take On Me’ was catchy.
- Last: “1977” by Ash (Amazon, iTunes)
Sort by Artist – first and last?
- First: A
- Last: 1000 Clowns
Top five played songs?
- “April Rain” by Delain (from the album ‘April Rain’)
- “Keelhauled” by Alestorm (from the album ‘Black Sails at Midnight’)
- “Monster” by The Automatic (from the album ‘Not Accepted Anywhere’)
- “Steve McQueen” by The Automatic (from the album ‘This is a Fix’)
- “Misery Business” by Paramore (from the album ‘Riot!’)
Find the following words. How many songs show up?
- Sex: 3
- Death: 2
- Love: 42
- You: 103
- Home: 5
- Boy: 14 (15 if you count “Sk8er Boi” by Avril Lavigne)
- Girl: 16
This blog post could, of course, be seen as a cynical attempt to create lots of affiliate links, rather than genuinely participating in a meme. That wasn’t intentional.