Neil Turner's Blog

Blogging about technology and randomness since 2002

A Fresh Start

I’ve been wanting to re-design this site for some time. The previous design dates from late 2005, and has been in place for the best part of 2 1/2 years. So here’s a brand new look for the site.
I was planning a wordy post for this, but instead here’s what has changed in bullet form:

  • I’m now using Movable Type’s default templates, rather than my homegrown solution
  • I’ve upgraded to MT 4.2 Release Candidate 1
  • I’m using the widget system, rather than hand-coding everything in long template files

I don’t have the time or skills to come up with something attractive myself, and the default templates look good; I may make some colour alterations in future but expect the general feel to remain. With the widget system I can easily make my own widgets and re-order them as needed – the Google Adsense adverts are in their own widget, for example.
There will be some quirks with plugins, so please let me know if you encounter problems.

3 Comments

  1. I’ve attempted twice now to switch my antiquated template structure to the new modular Movable Type versions. I’ve failed both times because the documentation (as usual) is horrible, and I don’t have time to try and figure it out. Hopefully somebody will write a “Dummies” book soon. 🙂

  2. I’ve been wanting to upgrade to the latest version as I’ve been following the mtos mailing list discussions for some time and the performance improvements sound lovely.
    Problem is that every flippin’ time I’ve ever upgraded MT my templates have broken spectacularly and it’s been a pain in the arse to fix. I’ve been using MT for years on version 2.x something or other. I’m using 4.01 currently and for the most part I’m totally happy with it so I’m sure I’ll put off the upgrade for a while until I have some time to fix whatever breaks as a result.

  3. We have upgraded recently to MT 4.1 from 3.3. Neil helped us before, but this time we got Six Apart to do it. I asked that they left the templates alone and this has worked out fine. Plugins however is another story, with errors if you even try to look at them with MT. I am still awaiting a response on these from the installer who admitted to having a few problems himself!
    http://www.bishopthorpe.net