I’m pleased to announce the first stage of my plan to migrate all the feeds on this site to Atom 1.0. Here are my reasons:
- Offering the same content in several formats is confusing. For a while now I’ve stuck to just RSS 2.0 and Atom 0.3, these will now be replaced with just Atom 1.0. Users therefore won’t have to know the difference – they’ll just see a ‘web feed’ and be able to subscribe to it.
- In its Windows RSS Publishers Guide, Microsoft encourages feed publishers to
Pick your favorite format, and just support that.So I am. Although the current beta releases of IE7 and Windows Vista do not support Atom, support is coming in the next round of betas.
- Atom is a standard that will be approved by the Internet Engineering Task Force, whereas RSS has not been formally standardised.
This first stage consists of:
- Upgrading the Atom feeds to 1.0 (the main feed has already been upgraded)
- Removing references to the RSS feeds on the site, so that all new subscribers will be using Atom
- Migrating Bloglines users, who are the biggest proportion of subscribers, to the Atom feed, since Bloglines mostly supports Atom 1.0 with no problems
Therefore, if you’re reading one of my main feeds in Bloglines, you should soon all be reading the Atom feed and not the RSS feed – I’ve used .htaccess rules to ensure that the Bloglines Bot is always redirected to it.
At the moment, I’m leaving the Feedburner feed as is, but there will be fewer links to it in future.