Hey Apple, if you ever release iTunes 4.8 or 5.0 for Windows, here’s some ideas for what needs improving:
- CPU usage. iTunes is about the only application I have that consistently uses up to 3% of my CPU. No other media player I have used has ever needed that. Why? It’s not like I have a slow machine either – surely a 2.2Ghz Mobile Celeron should be enough.
- Memory usage – iTunes is using 50 MB of memory right now. Again, a bit extreme, don’t you think?
- Why does it take iTunes up to 30 seconds to read a CD, especially when skipping tracks? No other CD playing program on this machine does that, and those scratching noises that the drive makes during the time don’t sound healthy.
- Faster startup times. Again, iTunes loads up slower than Winamp, Media Player, VLC and pretty much every other equivalent program.
- Just because I play a song, it doesn’t mean I want it in my library.
I want to love iTunes because of its nice interface and iPod support, but these things have been bugging me for some time now. I’m really wondering whether Winamp with its ml_ipod plugin might be a better bet.