Not much going on here in Bradford West so I’m going to turn my attention to my home constituency of City of York. The constituency has amassed 8 candidates, unfortunately not including Eddie Vee, the Yorkshire Elvis who was representing the Official Monster Raving Loony Party. He has seemingly disappeared off the ballot at the last minute.
The three main parties are fielding candidates, along with UKIP, the Green Party and two independent candidates. And then there is the ‘Dungeons Death and Taxes Party’.
I don’t know much about it but it appears to be linked to The Dungeons, a chain of horror museums in York, London, Edinburgh and Hamburg. Quite what their policies are I have no idea but it’ll be interesting hearing the result be read out.
It’s not the most bizarre party though – . Take for example:
- Adam Lyal’s Witchery Tour Party
- Anti Party
- The Blair Must Go Party
- Chaos Party
- Church of the Militant Elvis Party
- Fancy Dress Party
- The Grumpy Old Men Political Party
- The Idle Toad
- MP3 Party
- No Candidate Deserves My Vote (I’m guessing this is some kind of apathy party)
- The No Party (I wonder if they’re guilty of negative campaigning)
- Personality AND Rational Thinking? Yes! Party
- Protest Vote Party
- The Rock’n’Roll Loony Party (A breakaway from the Official Monster Raving Loony Party, perhaps?)
- Single Issues Party (at least they’re being honest)
- Short Fat Solicitor Party
- Xtraordinary People Party
There are many others, often related to local issues.