The first beta of Microsoft’s long awaited anti-spyware tool is now available as a free download.
I downloaded it and had a quick play around. Here are my first impressions:
- Very easy to use
- Simple, attractive interface
- Catered for both inexperienced and more competent users well, by explaining problems but also including specific details like infected files and registry keys
- Lots of features, moreso than Ad-Aware and on a par with Spybot Search & Destroy
- Interface is a little more complicated than it could be
- False positives – I got three, one due to an incompatibility with SpywareBlaster, and the other two due to Shareaza which it thought to be parts of eDonkey and Grokster (which both bundle adware).
- …not much else, really.
Based on these first impressions, I’d say that I’m very impressed with this beta release. I’m not about to replace Ad-Aware and Spybot with this, rather it’ll become a third weapon in my anti-spyware arsenal. Microsoft have a good product here, in my opinion.