Neil Turner's Blog

Blogging about technology and randomness since 2002

Approaching acroymns

Another mild design update – I have started using <acronym> tags here and there (mostly in the templated areas). Apparently it makes the page more accessable to users with restricted eyesight (I’m assuming better compatibility with screen readers). It means that Mozilla users will get a dotted line under acronyms, and will be able to get the full definition by holding the mouse over it.
Not done too much today, mainly clearing up the mess on the floor in the room I’m in at the moment (mostly CDs that I’ve ripped or that are awaiting ripping) and more ironing. I have also ripped and re-ripped a few more CDs; the Ogg Vorbis format continues to amaze me in terms of quality – one of the songs I did today at 128Kbps sounds just like the original. Admittedly the song wasn’t complex (unlike some of the songs I listen to) so it didn’t need a high bitrate, but it’s nice to know that I’ve saved some disk space (the song was originally an MP3 at 160Kbps).
Just in case you don’t know (and you should by now ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’m using dBpowerAMP Music Converter Release 9a with the Ogg Vorbis Release 8 codec add-on, supporting the Ogg Vorbis 1.0 standard. MP3 copying is handled by the Lame 3.92 encoder using –alt-preset CBR 160 (which is the most efficient way of creating a 160Kbps MP3 file). My Ogg Vorbis files are either 128Kbps or 160Kbps, depending on how much I like the song.
Tonight I’m going climbing with Ventures, and since I’ll be leaving soon, I’d better get my arse down to Tesco to buy a pizza. Toodles!

Comments are closed.