There’s been lots of these ‘top 10 signs that you are a geek’, but here’s a few that a friend forwarded to me that I hadn’t heard before…
- You greet fellow geeks by saying “SYN!” and they respond with “ACK!”.
- You think of shopping as a series of SQL statements –
select maple_syrup from home_baking_aisle.
- You still check your mail using pine over an SSH connection.
- All of the software on your computers is open source. And you compiled it all yourself. And contributed code to at least half of them.
- You spend Friday nights on IRC, discussing the merits of token networks over ethernet.
- Your IRC client is called Telnet.
- All of your t-shirts have geeky slogans such as “There’s no place like 127.0.0.1″ on them.
- You have more Firefox extensions than you have had girlfriends (or boyfriends).
- You can hold conversations in Perl.
- You can understand OpenOffice.org’s source code in its entirity.
- You know what TWAIN stands for. Really.
I know I’m guilty of one of those. How about you people, and do you have any other suggestions?